Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Whole Grain Mixed Berries Muffins

Whole Grain Mixed Berries Muffin Muffins have always been my favourite as the recipe is simple to whip up. Since I  have some leftover fresh blueberries, it’s a shame if I don’t put it to good use and let it rotten.

For this time, I would prefer some healthy muffins. I made some modification to the original recipe on Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins by substituting the frozen blueberries with half cup fresh blueberries and half cup frozen cranberries.

The original baker described the muffins as “nice juicy blueberries with a subtle muffin background, and the blueberries were the start of the show…..”

Ingredients:

  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup AP flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup frozen cranberries

Steps:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Mix the sugar, honey, egg, milk, butter and vanilla together until smooth.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
  4. Add the dry ingredients and fold lightly until just combined (don't over mix or the muffins will toughen). Fold in the mixed berries.
  5. Spoon the mixture evenly into 6 muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

The texture of the muffin is great but it is just too sour to hubby’s liking. I am fine with it. Probably I shall add more sugar if cranberry is used to replace blueberry. I would think the recipe is good if I would have used blueberries only. Anyhow, I will leave that for the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment